Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Back on the Saddle

After getting an okay from my physical therapist in Jan to start training for a half marathon I was feeling great. Since the first went so well I did two more right after. Three half marathons in 20 days. That's right...I'm crazy...

The Shamrock'n Half Marathon #1 Time: 2:07

As far a halfs go this by far was the prettiest I've ever ran. I loved the course. Always a turn and something new to look at than the runner in front of you. I was sooo cold that morning and it was day light savings too. Floyd (my brother in law) and I are standing proudly with our medals. Then yes you see it...My festive toes with a blood blister that I had on each foot. When I got back to Manteca you can see the clever decorations my friends the Nydeggers did. They also left me a plate of cookies and cute sidewalk chalk pictures. Thanks again guys!
I very pleased with this accomplishment because there was a six month span I couldn't run because of my back but I was focused and did everything that I had to to make this happen.
The Modesto Half Marathon #2 Time: 2:05

This half marathon started at 7am and dang Gina it was brisk! We ran along a lot of orchards and you could see your breath for the first 3/4 of the run. It was that cold. I didn't take off my long sleeve until mile 11. This run was a little boring because there were several long straight aways and if you don't have any turns at times you feel like your going in slow motion but still happy to do it. I was jazzed I beat my previous time. :)

Xterra Chanoko Trail Half Marathon #3 Time: 2:41


Okay...this one was crazy. I did a trail run years ago and remembered my time, breathing, and endurance wasn't like anything of how I run on pavement. There is only one word that describes this half...RIDICULOUS!! A total beast! Cindy, my adorable friend there in the pink, was also coming back to running after shattering her ankle in a car accident years ago. (Now that's a trooper!) She invited me to run with her and a friend of hers that she's been training with. They both kicked my butt. They came in more than 10min before me. Well done Heather and Cindy!! There was only two ways to run...up a hill or down a hill. I take that back there were boulders you had to jump off of, huge mud puddles you had to jump over, and several other decisions to make. That's one thing about pavement running, you can just let your mind coast, put your brain on auto pilot and not burn any extra calories/energy by thinking. Trail running, whole different ball game, you have to stay alert and make choices. For some reason I had to commentate the all my obstacles and choices. I had to say things out loud to help me focus. For an example "Okay big puddle up ahead, which way across, which way, left..right...I'll try and jump over it. RATS!!" (I didn't make it, as you can see my shoes)
It will be quite some time before I do another trail run again.
How ever my next half is May 1st...


















2 comments:

Melanie Papworth said...

Wow - you rock, Kellie. You are such an inspiration. I have never felt so freaking lazy in my life. Wow, your blog is such a self esteem booster. Thanks a lot!

Barrett, Melinda, Angel Trinity, and Baby Zander said...

Congrats Kel...that's a big accomplishment!