Tuesday, November 1, 2011

October Runs

There are two months in the year I'll run multiple half marathons, March and October.
October had 5 weekends in the month and so I signed up to run 4 half marathons. There was one that I did not make. (Dang CSET prep course!)

Anyhoo...the first was called the Urban Cow Half Marathon in Sacramento, October 2nd. The last few years that I've ran it I haven't had very good runs. Last year I had the worst allergies and was miserable the entire 13.1 miles because of it. This year I had 3 asthma attacks that turned into panic attacks. But to say the least I finished with a cow bell medal.


On October 23rd I ran the Stockton St. Joseph Half Marathon. That was maybe the prettiest run I've done aside from New Zealand (duh). No lie they took us along the nicest parts of Stockton. (I know right...I didn't know they existed either!) The weather was perfect also and guess what...no asthma/panic attacks. Whoop Whoop!! I cut my time by 10 minutes.

I will add that I've never ran with so many cheaters. There were so many people that were taking short cuts and getting off the marked path...are you kidding me?!? Why run and pay and do all the training if you're not going to keep it real??

Side note: Don't you worry, Stockton was represented with a homeless man with his cart that was running along side of all of us saying, I'm running too I'm running too.


The last one I just did was October 30th, Folsom Four Bridge Half Marathon. Let's talk about this one...this is the 3rd time I've done this run and afterwards I wonder why I do it. Folsom=hills and Manteca=flat land. I'd say 99% of the run is along the bike trail that they close off for just us runners. Halla!!

The trail is my old training grounds when I lived in Northern Sacramento. The course is super pretty but it looses it's luster at the last half mile that is freakin' up hill. Who does that? I was happy with my time because it was the same time I ran the Stockton Half in and this had hills. No asthma/panic attacks either. I did take a few puffs before it started because I knew I'd be breathing harder with this one of all.

I love to see a hill in front of you and just hunker down (that's right, I said hunker down) make your body aware that it's time to focus on those hamstrings and hustle your butt up that hill.

The sensation is interesting once you use your hamies for a long distance and then when you go down right after you come up you have to focus on a completely different group of muscles. Holly and her husband Jeremy did it as well. They are crazy fast so to say the least they were there waiting for me at the finish line. Good times!!

No comments: