Wednesday, September 10, 2008

10 Mile Stampede and A Pirate's Birthday

I was in Sacramento for two reasons this past weekend. I had a 10 mile run and to celebrate mom's birthday.
The run was first, Sunday morning.
This is one I haven't done before. If you run longer than a 10 min mile than you were in the "Migration" and if you run faster than a 10 min mile you're part of the "Stampede". I was in the Stampede group, that needed to be said to explain how my run was. It was nerve racking. They had the Migration start at 7am and then we started our run at 8am. After about the first 3 miles we were sharing the path with the runners from the Migration. We were running out and they were running back. I felt like I was back at school, the entire time I was running it was like taking a test. (I have test anxiety) The second I saw the other runners heading back I got the same feeling when the first kids got up to turn in their test and your still sitting there with 3/4 left of your scantron to fill out. PANIC!!
I finished the race with a respectable time but I don't think I'd do that one again. If I do I may need to take a Valium prior to.

More thoughts: My first mile was 9:05 then my second was a 8:50. I knew I had to slow down or else I was going to run out of gas around the 8 mile mark but I had that panic in back of my mind, just keep going!! What the??? I'm so competitive with myself. I couldn't even enjoy myself. I was stressing out the whole time. My mind is hard to control while running.
Side note: I'll try and do easy math sometimes just to see how much of my mind is focused on helping my body move. Mr. Green would worry if he only knew some of the arthritic I struggle with during long runs. (hehehe)
Now for the fun part...mom's birthday. Her eye has been bothering her lately so she's been wearing a patch. Background: When mom was super young she had cancer in the tissue of her eye that surrounds her right eyeball so it's just skin that protects it, easily bothered. My brother thought it would be fun to have a theme party, pirate. Pictures are worth a thousand words. I'll let them do the talking. (Brent looks like that due to a dare so don't judge. hehehe)

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

This is awesome! And I'm not one bit surprised that you guys did it.

Love it. And your fam.

Audrey said...

Arrr matey! How fun that you had a theme party for Van!
Happy Birthday V!
I love the pic of Brent... sooo funny!

6Worthingtons said...

OH MY FREAKIN-HONEY-BUTTER-LOVIN'-ROCK-MY-MUNDO-CHICA!!! Ok, so this is the funniest thing ever...I was doing a search for some good Twilight book club discussion questions and guess who's blog popped up! So totally crazy! I was like, dang, that is one cute familiar looking girl!! How fun to read up on your latest adventures! We REALLY need to catch up! So, email me and I will tell you all the top secret classified info that I shouldn't post on a blog! :) Wowzers I sure do miss ya compy! Hope you are having a fab day! And for the record, I liked how SM ended the whole Twilight saga. :) Big hugs and besos!
Allison W.
P.S. My email address is still the same.