Thursday, January 17, 2008

First time for everything...

My friends here in Manteca had talked me into setting up a "myspace" account and it was a blast to find friends from high school and to keep in contact with my current friends. However, there has been an internal need to express myself during my adventures (in life).

I begin now.

I just finished the Rock-n-Roll Half Marathon in Arizona this past weekend. It was amazing, perfect weather, nice people and Cafe Rio afterwards. There is something to be said about those who run and those who support runners. I was able to not only accomplish a PR (personal record) but I enjoyed the entire race and showed it with a smile. It's one thing to run in solitude and have some personal "me" time. It's a whole different ball game when you involve spectators. They mean everything to me! I'm serious. I have never realized how vital and joyous they truly are until this weekend. When a "sluggish" feeling came over me and there were spectators available...I would run so close by them and just get a burst of energy. It was ELECTRIC. That is the only way I can describe it. It's an energy that you can't get from a sports drink or a shot of GU or a favorite song that's playing on your iPod. It comes from that personal contact (almost direct contact). Looking back there was a little girl no more than 7-years-old with her mom standing waiting for dad or another family member. The mom was cheering everyone along and the little girl wanted to give all the runners high fives. I took her up on it. As I left her I thought to myself, she has no idea how much that meant to me. For those of you who have supported and been there for me in the past and want to personally thank you with everything that I have in my soul, and tell you you made a difference to me!

No comments: