Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sunday children

For those that aren't Mormons you have to know how it works...our church is three hours long. Oh that's right, I said three hours. It's really not that bad. The first hour is like mass. The whole congregation gets together and we pray, sing, take the sacrament and listen to talks usually by the members of the congregation then we sing and pray some more. The next hour is Sunday school-basic. The third hour the men go to one class and the women go to another. Each have the same lesson but it's kinda nice to have that support group. The men can share their experiences with other men and vice versa with the women. I know what you're asking yourself...what about all the children all those Mormons produce? Where do they go and what do they do? The answer is Primary.
Primary lasts for two hours. They have also have basic Sunday school. After there is a time when we all get together for talks, singing, a group lesson, and other cool and fun things. Some Sundays are better than others. Today I think was one of the "better" days. The children were so well behaved. They showed respect to each other during talks and other sharing activities. Some would say being single in a "ward" or congregation of families would be hard. I won't lie at times it is. I do sit in the back and have a smile on my face while the parent is raffishly chasing their child down the isle and think, I want that. There are other times I'm with the primary children and think, wow this is great birth control, I do not want kids. I think it's all a learning experience just like everything else. With the good also comes the bad. It's that whole Yin Yang, keeping that balance, harmony thing.
I think the five years I have from teaching has helped with patience, respect, and boundaries. I've thought about being a single parent. I know I could do it. It would be tough but I know I could do it. But I just don't want to do it alone. To have that person tap you on your shoulder and say I got this one...yeah I think that keeps me on the fence. I just wonder...where is he?

1 comment:

chipandsalsa said...

It is amazing how well thought out "Sunday Children" is. Everything you said is so true. To see Sunday and us crazy Mormons like this helps perspective. The children enjoy you. My children enjoy you. I like the perspective you have on having children and then not wanting them! True that! I love 'em, but sometimes, I tell ya - tough!