Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The drama is revealed

I wrote a formal complaint and this was what I said...
I planned a trip to Salt Lake City and went on to this awesome site, www.kayak.com, and it listed a round trip ticket to SLC for $199, flying Untied. I've never used them before. I got an e-ticket and on the bottom it said check in is anywhere from 30-90 before departure.
I arrive at SFO airport 40 min before departure and went straight to the kiosk to check in. I enter my confirmation number and was told to see an agent. I stood in line to talk to my future enemy. I was questioned what time my flight was to leave and said it was too late to check any bags in, I had to be there 45 min to departure. I repeated back to her, you're saying because I'm 5 min late that I can't check in a bag? Yup then she called next.
I got on the "Customer Service" phone and they told me that if I wanted to check in a bag that I could fly stand by on the next flight.
I was sent to another line for a United clerk to approve the size of my bag. I wait...
I got the okay. I ran to the nearest trash can and threw out all my liquid items that were more than 3oz., from my lotions and makeup to my hair product. Thrown away!
I get back in line to be checked in.
A rep called me over and said I was too late. I said no I already got the approval that I could carry my luggage on. He said no it's too late for you. I asked what do you mean, too late for me? He then told me I can't take this flight. I proceed to tell him of my adventures and he cut me off and said if I had any problems I could grab the "Customer Service" phone and complain to them.
Once again I picked up the phone and spoke to a rep. I told her the staff was extremely rude and due to their poor communication skills of sending me back and forth I'm running even more late. She then proceeded to tell me that they won't even put my on a stand by flight. I'd have to fly out the next day on a plane that had seats available.
I asked in a cool calm manner, are you telling me that is my ONLY option? Yes was her response.
I then walked back to the trash can and had to retrieve my items from the trash. I then went to Delta (whom I love and adore!!) and they booked me on their next flight out.
Untied you should know that I was in the airport for three additional hours and told the story to five people. Who I hope will tell to others.
I have been in the customer service occupation for the past 20 years and I'm also a secret shopper, I know how to treat people and recognize good service. United is by far the worst service I've ever experienced.
I would rather pay an obscene amount of money in order to avoid traveling with United again.
Boycott United!!!

2 comments:

Lisa and Rustin said...

gosh...WHAT A MESS!
I am so sorry!
That stinks!
BUT...sounds like you had fun in UT, right?!?! I WANT to hear about it!

Audrey said...

Let us know if you get a response from those JERKS!!!
They tried to charge me about 800bucks to fly one way from L.A. to Salt Lake...what the!??!!?